Friday, October 14, 2011

Is Papoose King of New York? - Mixtape

Artist: Papoose  Title: King Of New York
Release Date: 10/04/2011
My Rating: 

King of New York? Really? Papoose has been classified as lyricist and is known for his witty metaphors no doubt. But he has also lost his buzz in the streets and in the industry. For him to want to call himself the King of New York is a bit of a stretch. Right off he hops on one of the best duo collaboration of this year, Jay-z and Kanye West “Otis”.  Artist seemingly forget that if you’re going to hop on another’s rappers track and do your own version its must to kill it, especially if it’s an already hot record. All Papoose tried to give us was line after line and I wouldn’t say he was up to par with this record.
Not even half way through the mixtape and I’ve lost my attention towards his music and its sad to say but it is putting me to sleep. I found that there was no real structure in his songs but just lines after lines. He tried to feed us with a bunch of metaphors, some clever, and others not so much. I would’ve liked to hear a song with a hook or chorus besides “Party Bout To Pop”. This song was mainly good because of the appearance of Lloyd Banks and Busta Ryhmes.
Im not saying Papoose is a horrible or cant rap, I have lots of favourite Papoose records from back in the day, but my only argument is that he can rap but just not make actual songs.
I would love to hear everyone’s opinion and feedback for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment